This one is going to be a quicky, mostly because I’ve been cooking like a crazy person over the last few weeks and the recipes are starting to pile up which is only contributing to the crazy person status. So I figured I’d get this recipe out there since a friend of mine, who is lucky enough to have a plum tree in her backyard, was looking for the recipe. This one is I’ve thrown together whenever I have stone fruit that needs to be used up (it works beautifully with apricots and peaches) so if you ever find yourself in the same spot then give it a go.
Italian Plum Torte
3/4 C sugar
1 Tbs light brown sugar
8 Tbs butter, softened
1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
2 Tbs cornmeal
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp baking powder
6-10 pitted Italian plums, halved
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs sugar
Preheat oven to 350˚
1. Cream the butter, sugar and light brown sugar together with mixer until fluffy and light yellow.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients then slowly beat them in to the creamed butter/sugar mix.
3. Pour batter into 9″-10″ springform pan and arrange the plum halves on top, skin side down.
4. Combine the cinnamon with the 2 Tbs sugar and sprinkle over the top of the plums.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.